Birthday Post ~ My favourite albums (and their stories)

Hello, Good morning or evening to my fellow readers. Thank you for coming back here. You join me 4 days before my 21st Birthday. I thought it would be fitting to share some of my favourite albums (which aren’t sparks themed) to celebrate my big day. On topic of big day, I will most likely posting this exhausted so I’m writing this well in advance to prevent delays. I also have plans to hopefully go to my local buildabear the day after my big day as on that day I’m having to deal with university deadlines and workmen at my house. I personally never thought I’d reach this age, I’ve always been mentally unwell and have had alot of difficult obstacles in life, but I’m still here which brings some tears to my eyes. At university staff and friends have been really supportive of this project, so if you are one of them thank you so much for the support and for putting up with my hyperfixation. Anyways without much hesitation I think it’s time to share music 


1. Beach Boys - Pet Sounds: This one is a classic, I’m pretty sure many people have grew up knowing at least one song from this. I fell in love with it weirdly, thanks to a fan fiction that mentioned it, I adore all the weird experimental songs from this, it’s almost like you opened an artists sketchbook and saw all their sketches and doodles which led up to a big drawing. I got this album as a farewell gift to my mum, who I mentioned in my first blog had passed away, I wasn’t feeling too great and I wanted to explore music more so I bought a few albums from artists I wanted to explore more. This album impressed all my senses. I also love the album cover, I find the whole band feeding goats hilarious. 


2. David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust: Again another classic, I’m very certain all readers will know this album. I was born 2002 so this album would’ve been around 40 years old when I was born. I get compared to David Bowie a lot due to my wild fashion and ginger hair and blue eyes, I don’t mind that as it’s a very gender affirming compliment. I got the album just before lockdown, when I could go shopping without fear of being sick, my mum was with me and was impressed I was into the classics and finally having great taste in music. The artwork feels like home to me, as “West” is a family name to me which makes me feel some connection to this album. My favourite song from this is moonage daydream as it’s just so empowering. To all readers, I recommend you all listen to this. 


3. Jeff Buckley - Grace: This has gained classic status in recent times. I also have only found this recently. I got this after my summer break. But I had fell in love with the song ‘Lover, You should’ve come over’ just as my mum started getting really sick. It reminded me weirdly of home. I feel homesick at the moment, as I was born in western Scotland but live in northern England and I never fit in here, I never seem to have a set tribe. I also loved the song as it’s very visual and emotional. I am planning to do some improv dance to this one day, so take that as your chance to listen to this album.


4. The Cure - Wish: This album is what started my true love of CDs and album art. I got this with my mum, she got me it as a treat, not knowing what would soon happen; I became hooked on post punk music. My mum didn’t like this type of music but she always said to have your own opinions. In college this album was my saviour, it cheered me up when I felt lonely, as I felt out of place and lost. This album is a real gem. 

5. Teardrop Expoldes - Kilimanjaro: This one is very underrated in my personal opinion. I really love how new wave and punk it sounds, Julian Cope really knew how to make post punk fresh. My favourite song off this album is Poppies in the Field. It’s almost psychedelic new wave. A little known fact is Cope, Ian McCulloch and Pete Wylie formed a band together in the late 70s. They didn’t really go anywhere, but they’ve all gone on to very impressive careers. I got this album with my birthday money. My friend at the time was very rude about me loving music so I got this to keep him quiet as I hadn’t found it in the wild before. 


6. Queen - Innuendo: This one is an underrated masterpiece. I grew up on queen due to both my parents loving the band, I learnt guitar at 9 because I wanted to be Brian May. I remember vividly my dad getting a queen cd but Freddie was singing in German, I don’t know why he was singing in German but I remember it being the best sounding thing (I didn’t clock this was auditory processing issues until I was older) i got this album in Durham from one of my favourite record stalls. They do a variety of good quality records, DVDs and CDs; he was the guy who sold me and introduced me to Mighty Boosh the comedy series. This CD I got just before my mum died, she being a massive queen fan was so happy I was trying to get the albums as so many places charge you £20 a CD because it’s queen. I love this album because it’s so sad and foreshadows Freddie’s passing, I love the song ‘I’m going slightly mad’ for its unique lyrics and real feelings of going mad, the whirling sound of the whimsical melody really play in to it. I also love how despite Freddie being really sick he was able to sing like an angel. 

7. Soft Cell - Non Stop Erotic Cabarete: This one has been in my life nonstop for a year. But I obtained it physically very recently. I got it the same day I got the queen CD, which says a lot about me (both that I’m not straight, and also I have a favourite decade) I really love the artwork on this album, it’s very nightclub-y and it reminds me of the Propaganda album cover alot; as in you can make a story from the image given. I love how I can clearly hear how sparks influenced them as a band, the bright synths and singing about past lovers. My favourite track is Frustration, this opens the album and I can’t help but laugh every time I hear it because Marc Almond singing about how he has a girlfriend is something to be heard loud. I recommend people take this album and enjoy it, I personally love hearing ‘What?’ And ‘Youth’ as each one sounds like a sparks song with a northern beach town feel added. 


That’s some of my favourite albums. I hope you enjoyed reading,. This post will be arriving on my my birthday itself, I’m turning 21 and I’m seeing family later. Also my best friend is coming over in 3 hours to give me gifts and a hug, so a huge shoutout and thank you to Jenna for being there for me and thanks for putting up with me and my sparks hyperfixation. Anyways I’ll see you all either in the comment section or next post. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being LGBT (and a sparks fan)

Introducing the blog

Sparks and Repetition