Sparks and Repetition



 Hello everyone, newcomers and regular readers. I am back after recovering from a nasty cold and burnout at the same time to share a new post. Today I decided to discuss one of my and most fans favourite parts of sparks, their repetition. 

(This is the band sparks)


Sparks have a diverse range of music, from glam rock to new wave/electronica to modern pop. They frolic freely through genres and sprinkle joy and fun wherever they land. I discovered them in 2021 so I’m a very new fan in some regards but I heard their song This Town Ain’t Big Enough and was transfixed, they sounded almost like true aliens of pop which David Bowie discussed in his Ziggy Stardust era, only these aliens were real. I had heard the song before my true opening into the fandom as I watched the film England is Mine during my college years (2019-2020) and always visualised the song as a funfair atmosphere since. The music is repetitive in the use of a piano riff and the guitars holding their hands and mingling smoothly in. I also heard Number One Song in Heaven in 2022 and it cemented me deeply in to the fandom; I heard it in Alan Partidge: Alpha Papa. I remember thinking “wow this song feels like it’s all around me” and when I felt overwhelmed I’d dance to it (unaware they made more songs like that).

(This is the poster for England is Mine)

(This is the poster for Alpha Papa)



The repetitiveness of their music is a gift for the ears as you know what’s coming but it still surprises you and makes you happy. My personal favourite album of Sparks’ is Number One in Heaven because of how repetitive the synths are, I also love how despite only 6 tracks it still feels like you have filled your time wisely. I love hearing this album with headphones as it feels like it’s all around me, plus I enjoy using music as a form of stimming so the repetitiveness of this album is almost like auditory stimming as it washes over me and feels like a sea of sound. My favourite sparks song is “Nicotina” because of its ability to be repetitive but still impressive to listen to, I love hearing sounds strike out of different corners as I work on art or go places like university or the shops or even to a park. 

(Album art for Number One in Heaven)



Many fans who have been offering up stories and their own experiences have also stated that the repetition and constant excitement of their music is what keeps them a fan of the band. It never fails to make me happy to hear how so many fellow neurodivergent fans have similar yet different experiences with the band. We are all huge fans of consistency and things staying the same but when a good change happens we’re excited about it, like when sparks change genre to explore and teach us a new way to enjoy music. A lot of people I had messages from told me they discovered sparks at a dark and low point of their life and that sparks uplifted them and made them feel they belonged which touched me deeply. Seeing how a band can help one see the beauty in being different and standing out with a disco light or headphones blasting our favourite songs really touched me. 


(Me in my own lil bit of joy, finally with a sparks T-Shirt, my dad got me this for my birthday) 

(One of my favourite pieces of repetition, Ron always (almost) looks the same throughout the ages) 


Repetition really helps the nuerodiverse community on so many levels, such as it bringing safety and comfort or even a door to lock to keep the allistic community out. For me I love doing the same things at certain places or certain days, in university I have to bring in a packed lunch on Tuesdays, but on Thursdays or Fridays I have to buy lunch at a take out place. Whenever I go to my craft group, I must doodle in my sketchbook and talk to people there, and on my way in listen to sparks and I must get the same bus home. I also love wearing the same colours everyday, or depending on my mood. I also love routine and sparks almost act a part of that, whether as a “commercial break” where I’m on public transport or eating lunch or cleaning, or they’re a “relax” moment where I play them to unwind and feel better after one of my teachers ignored my disability needs. Sparks are incredibly important. They never change but constantly evolve and embrace the new. 




Thanks for reading, apologies for it arriving late. Hopefully from next week we have a regular schedule again and maybe some non-sparks content as it’ll be Christmas break. Also huge shoutout to one of my classmates who suggested that I do one of my projects like this (I’m doing a comic about the realities of being neurodivergent) so if any of them ideas get drawn I may share them here as examples of discussion. Until the next instalment, if you have any suggestions or stories please message me as I’d love to hear it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being LGBT (and a sparks fan)

Introducing the blog